Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Another Dr. Seuss Metaphor?


Ah, you say another Dr. Seuss metaphor! But why not? It’s playful, and it’s suggestive.

In this case, I’m point to the fact that the read-write web does indeed let the cat of out the magical hat: students now routinely circumvent the guardians of the portal by publishing their own material to the web, without editors, teachers, and other impediments to creativity and censors who would stop them from spreading their own messages or developing their own forms of writing and learning communities.

This of course is why we are running into many who are uncomfortable with this relatively new technology – it empowers students way beyond our own comfort zone. We said we wouldn’t use this space or this platform as a WebCT bashing venue, but blogs and wikis certainly let students out of the box of WebCt, not to mention out of the confines of those grim classrooms in the basement of the Science Building.

Gasp – we’re losing control!

Okay Steve and Sandy – ball is in your court – go for it!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Schaufelberger said...

I'm on board!

I'm not sure where we'll go with this, but I'm willing to jump into the river! No matter what happens in this new frontier, I'm sure we/I will learn something about how I teach and how others learn. Thanks for the ride.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Worth Weller said...

What I'm thinking is I should probably post the gist of what we discussed Wednesday here, as an outline for or CELT presentation.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Sandy Schaufelberger said...

I agree.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home